Monday, June 1, 2009

Analog versus digital music PART III

Analog versus digital music PART III


Part III (The setup)

Setting up the turntable was by far the most daunting task of all the steps. I had to print of numerous directions, and templates. Just adjusting the proper weight for the tone-arm took me several days to get just right, in the mean time I used some old give alway records that were scratched up to test the sound. There is just so many different ways you can up grade your turntable, no wonder people get hooked, it is fun, and as you will find out later, the sound you get from it will be very well worth it.


For hooking up the speakers I set it up a little differently from the standard right speaker left speaker. I did what some call Biamping or Biwiring depending how big of an audio snob you are. I call it Biamping since I am using 2 channels instead of one, even though I am not using 2 amps. But it is the same basic concept as 2 different amps.


The IMAC is the one that I am the most familiar with, since I use it everyday, and I’ve converted to MP3s a long time ago. I will be using 2 different programs to rip music from CDs, MAX and iTunes, and comparing the quality of their VBR Mp3s to the lossless formats. Nothing less than 190 Kbps. Even though the IMAC is equipped with an optical out put, we won’t be able to test out that feature since my amp doesn’t feature an optical input.


No comments:

Post a Comment